It is important to include as much detail as possible when making a request for support to the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS). Here’s what we need to know:
- What is the problem; who is it affecting and how?
- How long has this been going on?
- What is the severity according to the child/young person, parent and referrer?
- What has been done so far and by whom? Was it helpful?
- What plans are currently in place? Who is involved?
- Are there any other factors (history/ examination/ symptoms and signs) that might be of relevance; drugs, alcohol, risky behaviour, physical signs (weight, height, self harm)?
- Risks to the child/young person; abuse, significant self-harm, violence, neglect, unaccompanied minor, Looked After Child, Child Protection Plan.
If you have any worries or concerns about a young person and want to discuss them, please contact your local CAMHS Team.