DONCASTER INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES TEAM
Our Intellectual Disabilities team provides a service to children who have a significant learning disability and who have an additional complex behavioural or mental health needs (typically this is a child or young person in a special school with an IQ of 55 and below).
We aim to work in partnership with families and other agencies involved with the child or young person, to carry out assessments and interventions with individuals, families or groups, or offering consultation to agencies.
The problems we can help with:
Mental Health problems.
The specific services we provide are:
Interventions may be with a child or young person on their own, with their family or with a group. They can include:
- Assessment of skills, strengths and specific difficulties
- Neuro-developmental assessments
- Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Psychiatric assessment and medication
- Behaviour management advice and interventions
- Counselling for young people and parents
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Sensory profiling
- Training in learning disabilities and mental health/ developmental problems
- Group work
- Family work
- We may also offer consultation and training to other services and families, including those working with pre-school children, and where appropriate may work jointly with referrer and other services to offer the best package of care.
Our referral criteria:
We accept referrals to the service from children and young people who:
- Are between 5 and 18 years of age
- Are resident in Doncaster or registered with a Doncaster GP
- Have a Moderate to Severe learning disability
- Display severe challenging behaviour, or mental health problems that require the input of a specialist provision.