Doncaster Intellectual Disabilities Team
In this strange new world of social distancing and isolation we want you to know we remain contactable to help with your concerns
We have developed an email for parents, schools and other professionals to ask questions or request support from our team regarding your child’s mental health.
If you have an URGENT CONCERT please contact us on: 01302 796191
We remain in contact with all Special Schools who are open with the aim of offering Virtual Consultation Clinics. Please let us know if you have any other ideas that may be useful on email@example.com which will be checked daily (we aim to get back to you within 24 hours).
Our office hours remain MONDAY TO FRIDAY 9AM TO 5PM
Our Intellectual Disabilities team provides a service to children who have a significant intellectual disability and additional complex behavioural or mental health needs (typically this is a child or young person in a special school with an IQ of 55 and below).
We work in partnership with families and other agencies involved with the child or young person, to carry out assessments and interventions with individuals, families or groups, or offer consultation to agencies.
We can help with:
- Challenging behaviour
- Emotional difficulties
- Mental health problems
Specific services we provide are:
Interventions may be with a child or young person on their own, or with their family or with a group. They might include:
- Assessment of skills, strengths and specific difficulties
- Neuro-developmental assessments
- Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Psychiatric assessment and medication
- Behaviour management advice and interventions
- Counselling for young people and parents
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Sensory profiling
- Training in intellectual disabilities and mental health/ developmental problems
- Group work
- Family work
We may also offer consultation and training to other services and families, including those working with pre-school children, and where appropriate may work jointly with referrer and other services to offer the best package of care.
The referral criteria are:
We accept referrals to the service from children and young people who:
- Are between 5 and 18 years of age (transition to adult services begin at 17½ years old)
- Are resident in Doncaster or registered with a Doncaster GP
- Have a significant Intellectual Disabilities
- Display severe challenging behaviour or mental health problems that require the input of a specialist provision.