Doncaster Intellectual Disabilities Team
Our Intellectual Disabilities team provides a service to children who have a significant intellectual disability and additional complex behavioural or mental health needs, typically this is a child or young person in a special school with an IQ of 55 and below.
We work in partnership with families and other agencies involved with the child or young person, to carry out assessments and interventions with individuals, families or groups, or offer consultation to agencies.
We can help with:
- Challenging behaviour
- Emotional difficulties
- Mental health problems
Specific services we provide are:
Interventions may be with a child or young person on their own, or with their family or with a group. They might include:
- Assessment of skills, strengths and specific difficulties
- Neuro-developmental assessments
- Autistic Spectrum Condition
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Psychiatric assessment and medication
- Behaviour management advice and interventions
- Counselling for young people and parents
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Sensory profiling
- Training in intellectual disabilities and mental health or developmental problems
- Group work
- Family work
We may also offer consultation and training to other services and families, including
those working with pre-school children, and where appropriate may work jointly with
referrer and other services to offer the best package of care.
We accept referrals to the service from children and young people who:
Are between 5 and 18 years of age transition to adult services begin at 17 and a half years old
Are resident in Doncaster or registered with a Doncaster GP
Have a significant Intellectual Disabilities
Display severe challenging behaviour or mental health problems that require the input of a specialist provision.